Thursday, September 9, 2010

Working Moms, Working Out

I joined a gym about three months ago, and have been going pretty religiously.  My husband, Jason, has always been into working out but I never got into it.  It seemed like there was always something else that I "needed" to be doing.  I was pretty much ANTI working out.  But a new gym opened up in June that was in a convenient location so we decided to join.

I'm now about 9 pounds lighter; can tell I have more muscle in my arms, shoulders, and legs; and actually get GRUMPY if I don't go to the gym at least three times a week.  The gym offers Zumba once a week and I LOVE it.  I don't know if it's because it reminds me of my dancing days or just because it's new and makes me sweat, but I look forward to it every week.  I also tried spinning with two girlfriends but it just wasn't for me...I'll saved the bruised butt for some other activity.

So I aim to go four times a week, sometimes in the morning before work and sometimes at night.  (Ironically, my husband is now a personal trainer at the gym so when I go depends on his work schedule as well as what I have going on at work that week.)  My usual routine is about 45 minutes of interval training on the elliptical (10 minutes warm-up, then alternating increasing intervals of 2.5 minutes for a total of 25 minutes, then 10 minutes of cool down).  Some days I'll add leg press, shoulder press, chest press, and seated rows.  My goal is to lose about 7 more pounds and I'll be down to my high school weight.

As a working mom with three kids, I never thought I had the time to work out.  In fact, I felt guilty for even thinking about making it a priority.  I knew it was supposed to give me more energy...blah, blah, blah.  I must say that my reasons for doing it were completely superficial.  After I stopped nursing our youngest son, Ryan, I gained about 10 pounds.  I knew that we weren't going to have any more children and I wanted my pre-(3rd) baby body back ASAP!  But these past few months have given me something new to look forward to, some much needed "alone and recharging time", and yes...more energy to keep up with my kiddos and even energy to put me in a better mood.

So...I ask you...what's your typical workout routine?  Have you always been a diehard fitness girl or is it new to you?  What's your end goal?  What is your favorite fitness activity?

No comments:

Post a Comment