Fall is a good time for change. I’m not just talking about the colors of the leaves and the transition to pitch black at 7 p.m. Well, maybe it’s because of those things that I become highly reflective and contemplative during my favorite time of the year. Who doesn’t get excited at the prospect of wearing your favorite jeans with a comfortable sweater and boots? Or scents like pumpkin spice or apples and cinnamon? Or how about a good glass of wine and a book on a cold day? Ahhhhhh….
During the past month, I’ve thought a lot about life in general and have come to several conclusions:
#1 – I am never satisfied. I know this is human nature, but I feel this is something I need to work on. I’m somewhat of a perfectionist and it seems like there’s always something better, something different that I *should* be doing. I need to remember to be grateful for all of the beautiful things that I have right now, right in front of me.
#2 – I’m a yeller. I yell at my kids way too much. Definitely have to work on that one.
#3 – When my brain gets on overload, it shuts off. Just try to tell me something complex when I’m not in the mood.
#4 – I start lots of projects and don’t finish them. I’m mostly referring to craft projects here. I probably have a closet full of scrapbooking stuff and other random art supplies. But there are also those boxes of clothes and shoes that I’m “going to Freecycle or take to a consignment store!”
#5 – I have good intentions BUT… Sometimes things just get in the way.
I didn’t spend the whole time criticizing myself but these are things that definitely stuck out in my mind. On the positive side, there are a couple of (selfish) things that I am proud of:
#1 – Even though I’m down to only going two or three days a week, I’ve stuck with the whole gym routine. I’m only 5 pounds away from my goal weight, which is pretty much what I weighed in high school (just distributed differently, lol). It’s taken me four months, but my metabolism is at a point where I am still losing weight without putting in a ton of effort, which is rewarding considering all the hard work I put in those first few months.
#2 – I’m coupon shopping and saving my family money. You’ve already seen the blog posts about that. It has definitely changed the way I think about shopping.
So while other people gather around the Christmas tree with hot cocoa in hand, thinking about their New Year’s Resolutions, mine have been kicking around inside my brain for three months (and hopefully put into action). Anyone who knows me knows that while I’m not competitive when it comes to sports, I have always enjoyed being “first” at almost everything else. J
No comments:
Post a Comment